Sun, Sep. 3rd, 2006, 05:33 am
Saturday evening I got an international(!) drunk dial from Pat Healey. He was at an Italian airport headed for Barcelona. I went over to the Nashville house to pick up Gisela and head out to The Black & White Ball and The Party On The Roof. I think I saw half of freshman year Butler 2 and half of freshman year JL 2 Even tonight. (Tonight at Rue I saw Bernstein again, which makes it three nights in a row.) But yeah, I didn't even realize I knew so many JL 2 Even girls until Saturday night: Gisela, Jody, Samantha, Tiffany, Emily, Megan, are just a few who come to mind. The B&W Ball was another Salkin&Co party in honor of Tiffany, a belated birthday celebration of sorts. (I called her last September to greet her happy birthday, and she was like "It's not happy at all!" Pretty sad.) Josh was mixin' good Bourbon and cokes, and I got to meet (officially) Megan and Sasha. I mostly just hung out with them, Jody, and Gisela of course. On a funny note, our leaving to go to The Roof coincided with a power outage. (No really. We were on the porch, and the power went out.) Gisela noted that it was "very New Orleans." What's even more New Orleans is that the party certainly didn't stop. They broke out the candles and cell-phone-lights and kept going.
Megan and Sasha gave us a ride to Bryan, Curry, Matt, and David's Party On The Roof. All four hosts seemed to be in good spirits, to say the least, as did most of the guests who were still there dancing and yelling, like my boy Tedward. (This is also where most of the But2 guys were.) Jaryd was bartending. My drunken revelation of the night was that I know Caroline Haas. For the longest time, I've heard her name and knew a Caroline. I just didn't realize they were one and the same. We were talking for at least ten minutes about how we should hang out more, and when I walked away someone asked me "So how do you know Caroline Haas?" And I was like TIME OUT. So I went back over to her and was like "YOU'RE CAROLINE HAAS?" Her reply: "Yes, Andrew Marin. I am." It was pretty funny. (She's another JL2 Even girl.) Megan and Sasha gave Gisela and me a ride home, but I ended up going out again because Stephen and Eliana insisted on picking me up. We went to F&M's to meet friends for nightcaps and dancing. (I forgot how fun that place was with the loud music and bartenders tossing napkins in the air like confetti, not to mention how confusing it can be when you walk out of the party room into the food/chill room.)
I got up this afternoon when Tara texted me to come visit her at the Tibet Festival she and the rest of TATU (Tibetan Association of Tulane University) were hosting. After that and cookin' a little something to eat I went to church with Chad and his friend Dani. Chad knows old-school choir songs, which raises his cool quotient even higher than the old-school Disney ones did. I went to dinner at the TCC and ended up serving it with Gisela (Aw, just like old times.) Salad, fresh (even warm) bread, Chicken Delicious / Chicken Tetrazini (as Thomas educated us) and redbeans&rice. There were cakes and pecan pie and ice cream for dessert. (Sadly every time I thought I was finished, Sabine would find a new topping in the fridge. Chocolate syrup, Caramel, etc.)
I walked back to Aron with Darion On Crutches. Poor guy's gettin' quite the upper body workout. If I were him, I would definitely not be making the treks across campus for class tomorrow... especially if it rains. Now I really need to cram for my exam tomorrow. Wish me luck. Or if you're religious (and since I don't believe in luck), pray for me. Trust me. I'll need it.
Now not only is studentweb file transfer down, but the internet died before noon on Saturday. More delayed updates but I assure you I am writing.
Friday after my classes, Gisela met up with me. We walked around campus so she could reorient herself. We visited "the mansion girls," so 'Sela could catch up with them a little. Gise treated me to shrimp po-boys and cheese fries at Freret St. Cafe, which was hearty as always. We went down Maple in search of her red (accent?) shoes for the Black & White Ball but no luck. We stopped by the center to see Ms. Margot, and so G.Lo could tour the renovated rooms. Back at my apartment, she shared some interesting trivia with me and we went through the Post Secret book. G-Unit called Esteban on Thursday, so he drove down from Baton Rouge and he treated the two of us to dinner at Mikimoto. I had a violet roll (salmon, "crunchy," cucumber), a yellowtail roll (yellowtail, avocado, roe), and a Cajun roll (crawfish, snow crab, and soft-shell crab). As far as I'm concerned, sushi three times in five weekdays = A good week.
We then went to The Julias & Roommates' Trailer Trash Party. (The Nashville House got a FEMA trailer because of its hurricane damage, so they figured they should throw a party.) It was lots of fun. They had flamingos, a baby pool, pork rinds, lawn furniture, a tiki torch, etc. They didn't skimp on the alcohol though. Quality Abita Amber and liquors for mixing.
I finally had an excuse to wear my super-destroyed (I didn't buy them that way. I'm just a clutz.) jeans and since I found every color of wifebeater EXCEPT white in my closet, I borrowed one from David. I told Julia I needed a trucker hat and when she was at Wal-Mart she found something even better/trashier: A "3rd Annual Key West Poolside Bikini Contest" cap. The back says "official bikini inspector," and on the corner of the rim is "Less is More." Perfect. I even flattened the rim and wore it at the top of my head to get that "trucker" look instead of the rim-curved and strategically tilted to the side "prep" look. Everyone else was dressed trashy too. We all had nicknames. You can imagine. One of Gilbert's friends was really quiet when he got there and after five minutes was like "wait, is there a theme to this party?" And when he told him, I think he was relieved because at first impression he honestly thought we were all just... trashy. After the party I went to Madigan's with Stephen and met up with Ben and some friends-of-friends. I got a free drink or two and then Ben treated us to chicken tenders at Big Easy Cafe, which are both awesome especially combined with the two free meals and party because I am broke as a bad joke.
Fri, Mar. 17th, 2006, 01:16 am
Hmmm, so the water was supposed to be shut off in the building today. But it wasn't. I talked with Gisela on the phone for about half an hour while she was waiting for her ride. I went to physics lab which almost took the entire time tonight. The two girls in my lab group disproved two sorority stereotypes. (Danielle is a pretty, blonde Kappa. I thought she'd be doing her nails the entire time. Su-Jit is an Asian, bespectacled Theta. I thought she'd be the genius who did everything right.) After lab finally ended, I got presentable (with a shower and shave) and then went to Vera Cruz with the Nashville Trailer Prak residents, Josh, Brian, and GISELA!!! (G.Lo's actually Mexican, so I don't know why the hell she wanted to go to Vera Cruz.) I saw her and gave her a big hug and immediately forgave her for leaving. And I told her so too. I'm such a nice guy. I had a "burrito loco" (steak, bacon, shrimp, guac, beans, rice with a queso-crawfish sauce) for dinner, and the table split a couple of pitchers of strawberry (G-Unit's pick) margaritas. Being such a Latino establishment, Vera Cruz played their usual eclectic mostly-90s music, but the highlight of the night was definitely "Satisfaction" (the women with power tools video, not the Stones) and "Since U Been Gone" which pretty much everyone, especially Josh, sang to Gisela.
Okay, I was bored too.
1. How tall are you barefoot? 5'9", supposedly 5'10" if I don't slouch according to my doctor and license
2. Have you ever smoked heroin? no way
3. Do you own a gun? a paintball gun
4. Rehab? not yet
5. Would you ever "do" someone in their parents' bed? sure
6. What do you think of hot dogs? as long as i don't think about what's in them and as long as they're good with good stuff/bread
7. What's your favorite Christmas song? "o holy night" (I think Lauren's was "carol of the bells" but don't quote me on that)
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? water, what I drink most of the time anyway
9. Do you do push-ups? not very many
10. Tried extacy? Ecstasy? nope I just act that friendly/flirty/slutty way naturally
11. Are you vegan? haha never. I could probably pull of vegetarianism but never veganism. psychos
12. Do you like painkillers? sure when they're necessary even though I think I have a pretty high pain threshold
13.What is your secret weapon to lure in the opposite sex? I try to treat all those ladies the same respectful/kind way so that it doesn't come off as desperate if I really like her or rude if she's not so attractive
14.Do you own a knife? swiss army. engraved with my name
15. Do you have A.D.D.? sometimes I think so but no testing yet
16. Do you love the pain a tattoo brings? uh no, but I don't think it's that painful.
17. Top 3 thoughts at this exact moment: dane cook is hilarious, why haven't I laundered/packed/shipped anything yet, how fast will this week/month/semester/year go by?
18. Name the last 3 things you have bought: two shirts from Ruehl 925, a dvd set from Best Buy, and round trip NOLA/DC plane tickets
19. Name five drinks you regularly drink: water, iced tea (sometimes Long Island style), rum and coke, orange juice (sometimes with vodka), milk (but not usually with alcohol. but really most often bottled water, spring water, tap water, filtered water, and ice water... so I don't sound like an alcoholic
20. What time did you wake up today? 10:30. Rebecca's phone alarm, which sounds like a damn RODEO, woke me up so efficiently
21. Current hair? reflects the temperature, baby. long now but shorter back in NOLA
22. Current worry? everything associated with leaving home/Gonzaga and moving back to New Orleans/Tulane
23. Current hate? chubbiness from several months of absolutely no physical activity
24. Favorite place to be? at a party in a fun place where I know everyone
25. Least favorite place to be? anywhere when bored
26. Where would you like to go? that I haven't been before? Greece or South America
27. What do you wear when you go to sleep? not to gross you out but anywhere from nothing to a t-shirt and pajamas/joggingpants depending on location, temperature, and company. the average is just boxers or boxerbriefs
28. What do you think you'll be doing in 10 years? honestly I don't know. working? house-husbanding? kids would be awesome
29. Do you burn or tan? ha, I'm already tan. so tan some more
30. Last thing you ate? sushi
31. Would you be a pirate? only if it was like a Caribbean one like that awesome movie
32. Last time you had an alcoholic drink? a little less than 24 hours ago
33. What songs do you sing in the shower? anything that comes to mind, last performance was "nothing better" by the postal service
34. What did you fear was going to get you at night as a child? any sort of demonic creatures. I've always loved scaring myself stupid
35. What's in your pockets right now? my cell phone, receipts, keys, and my wallet
36. Last thing that made you laugh? haha. I was at both Abercrombie and Ruehl today and in both stores random customers thought I worked there
37. Best bed sheets you had as a child? these ones that looked like a sky, clouds and all, with airplanes on 'em.
38. Worst injury you've ever had? torn ACL. ended the soccer thing and anything else extensively cardio... but it led to some good things too
39. What are your dreams like? often not memorable. I was talking to a psych teacher yesterday about drugs effect on REM/dreams. and she wondered if marijuana would have an effect. I told her that asking college students to smoke some pot and then sleep would be a popular experiment. random tangent
40. How many TVs do you have in your house? hmmm. four?
41. Who is your loudest friend? I think everyone's volume goes up with me around because I'm just annoying like that. Lizzie is pretty loud though
42. Who is your most silent friend? probably Brian C but at least whenever he says something it's of value
43. Does someone have a crush on you? HAHAHA. don't ever ask me this question. I have such a poor gauge of whether or not people even like me to begin with... so how much someone does or doesn't is out of the question. I've found out about most crushes on me posthumously. so unless you clearly tell me or get all-up-on-me, I usually have no idea
44. Do you wish on stars? nope, not regularly. good idea though
45. What is your favorite book? The Great Gatsby
46. What is your favorite candy? dark chocolate...
47. What song do/did you want played at your wedding? whatever will compliment the open bar. (I will have an open bar at my actual wedding - BESIDES the reception - just because someone told me once it couldn't be done. you wait and see.)
48. What song do you want played at your funeral? eagle's wings
49. What were you doing 12AM last night? finishing up wedding crasher's uncorked. Rachel McAdams is going to take over the world. for serious
Mon, Dec. 12th, 2005, 10:29 pm
So due to popular demand, here is a random, out-of-nowhere update.
The funny thing is... everything that should be elaborated on won't be.
I went on Kairos again. It was amazing / incredible / wonderful ... and still completely inexplicable to someone who hasn't been on it.
The faculty Christmas cocktail party was awesome.
Patrick / Harry Potter asked me about Gunther, so I checked up on him.
Don't worry. Gunther and his Sunshine Girls - There are three instead of two now??? - still don't know how to speak English, but they continue to offer their relevant social commentary in songs like Touch Me ("I was hunting you down. I was the bait.") featuring Samantha Fox and Tutti Frutti Summertime ("It's a no-no, and you'll like it."). The music videos, which only add to the impact of the lyrics, include stunning visuals like people jumping through the air in their underwear, gyrating or feeling their barely/unclad selves, and, um, touching each other.
The real seasonal highlight of my catching up with Gunther and his babes is their Europop Christmas carol which surprisingly sounds like a revamped Ding Dong Song (You Touch My Tra-La-La). It's called Christmas Song (Ding Dong). You can download it here.
(If the link doesn't work, just open up Windows Media Player and click "Open URL" on the File Menu. Paste the address there.)
The festive yet sexual song makes Christina Aguilera's XXXmas album look virginal by comparison. There are snowflakes, lots of fur, Santa hats, gifts galore, and dancing
midgets elves. Gunther and the Sunshine Girls stay warm with their champagne, sunglasses, and skimpy outfits.
Parking . . .
Dinner . . .
Automatic 17.5% gratuity charge for a party of five without informing patrons . . .
That stupid restaurant can shove my MasterCard up its ass.